Thursday, April 15, 2010

They are Taking Over Film and Television!

Has anyone else noticed that it is hard to turn on the television or watch a movie today that does not involve vampires in one way or another? I mean they really are taking over. Vampires have always been one of the more popular supernatural figures, but thanks to the Twilight franchise, their popularity has skyrocketed.

Twilight paved the way for two very successful television shows. First there was "True Blood" on HBO and now there is "The Vampire Diaries" on The CW. There have also been vampires on the show Supernatural as well as in several movies such as Daybreakers and Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant. We won't even go into all of the books that have come out about vampires. I think Barnes & Noble even has a vampire section.

One thing I find interesting about these vampires is that they are not all the same and they tend to poke fun at each other. Most of them have fangs...except for Twilight...and most of them will die with prolonged exposure to sunlight...except for Twilight. The Vampire Diaries vampires are able to walk around in the sunlight, but only because of some special talisman. The way that they can be killed or weakened also differs. In Twilight they have to be ripped apart. For most of the others, a stake through the heart, beheading them, or burning them tends to do the trick.
It's interesting to see how many different types of vampires there are. If you think back to "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", From Dusk Till Dawn, Van Helsing, and Interview with the Vampire. All of the vampires are different in someway or another. And, even though I enjoy a good vampire story as much as the next person, I hope they lighten up on them soon. I'm getting tired of them.

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I'm so sick of the vampires! One vampire story/show/movie here or there is fine. I used to enjoy the occasional one. But, now I'm so sick of hearing about them. They're not real...they never were real...we need to move on with our lives and stop obsessing about them.I used to watch Buffy and it was a good show. It's just all gotten way out of hand now though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not gonna say that they bother me much at all, but I agree that they definitely have exploded onto the scene since the beginning of Twilight. Vampires sell apparently, and they offer an escape from reality that a lot of people like to associate themselves with. I've seen the movie Daybreakers, and that was a very interesting concept. All of the vampires became the general populous, and the human race had nearly dwindled to nothing, save for a few. The vampires lived like normal people except everything was reversed of course, so their "day" began at night. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, so I guess I have to thank Twilight for inspiring the writers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe you are saying this! I know you are a fan of a lot of these movies, shows and books! But I will admit the vampire movement is getting a bit crazy. SO many are prospering off of Twilight but who could have ever imagined Vampires would be the main theme on television today. I used to love Buffy the Vampire Slayer so it is funny to me to see the surge in blood sucking villians/comedians/heroes in the media. I am glad many have lightened their serious load lately. I know you enjoy True Blood and it has its humorous moments. It makes the surge seem a little less overwhelming. I hope it calms down too but I will admit each has had amazing success!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone is trying to jump on the success bandwagon of twilight and get a piece of them. It is unbelievable how many vampire shows are out there now. I sometimes wonder if it would be the same if it was another thing. I start to think that it would because look at all the super hero movies that came out after Spider man. So it is all about what is popular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's too bad that vampires became something that was considered popular and the popularity was exploited by hollywood as well as the rest of the media. I have enjoyed a few vampire related works throughout my life including Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hellsing(cartoon), and even played a game called Oblivion where at one point you can be bitten and become a vampire. Then the game is a pain to play because you get burned when you go out into the sun :\. Anyway I think that Twilight is kind of damaging to the general idea of vampires, I can understand not sticking to conventions but what is all this shiny skin stuff about? They don't gleam, they burn in the sun. But thats just how I feel. haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vampires really are everywhere on TV these days. This post actually makes be think about Late Night with Conan O’Brian (before they took him off the air). He recognized that people were really into vampires and hired a “vampire assistant” that he had on the show periodically. Really funny segments, and they always ended with the assistant running out and dying in the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha I was just thinking about this the other day. Vampires are EVERYWHERE. When did we get so obsessed with them? Why are they so popular? Whoever figured this out is making a ton of money right now, and more power to them. But I don't get it. You would be hard-pressed to scroll through all of your channels and not see a vampire on TV. But as most TV fads do, this will pass. And one day we will look back and think about how ridiculous it was that the whole nation was infatuated with vampires.

    ReplyDelete