Thursday, February 4, 2010

And the Oscar Goes to....

And the Oscar goes to...well, we will not actually know until March 7. However the nominees were annouced this past Tuesday. For the first time since 1943, the Academy has included a wopping ten nominees for the Best Picture category. The category normally consists of five.

This year the nominees include:
Avatar
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Which film will be awarded the Academy Award for Best Picture? It's hard to predict since three films so far have garnered a similar award from other award shows. Avatar took home the Golden Globe for Best Picture: Drama; Inglourious Basterds was awarded Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture at the Screen Actors Guild Awards; and The Hurt Locker won the Producer of the Year Award in Theatrical Motion Pictures at the Producers Guild of America Awards. It will most certainly be a tight race.

Of the ten nominees, I have only seen three: Avatar, Inglourious Basterds, and District 9. All three of the films were outstanding. I have a feeling the Best Picture Oscar will got to either Avatar or The Hurt Locker. Although I love Avatar, I would really like to see Inglourious Basterds take home the prize. It should at least win for its original screenplay.

Who do you think will take home the Best Picture Oscar this year? Who do you want to win? Who should have received a nomination? I personally think The Hangover was overlooked. I don't think it should win, but a nomination would have been nice.

5 comments:

  1. For best picture, I have to go with Avatar. When I think of best picture, I think of a movie that encompasses all that the title has to entail. Avatar had the best picture. From the way it was filmed to the intricate and detail oriented world that was created within the film. Inglorious Bastards was an amazing original story, but when I think of something that garners best picture, I think of visuals and a re-creation of an overplayed theme into something new again. I too saw District 9 and loved it. A movie with such caliber should certainly be awarded something. As much as it probably didn't have a chance of being nominated, I really thought that Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was an awesome movie. The story I believe was based off of a book, but I really enjoyed the visuals and entertaining story that it told. All in all, I hope Avatar wins. A movie where the technology used to film the movie took nearly two decades to develop before they could even begin to film is something serious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing just to even think about how far we have come in technology to make these movies, like Avatar, between the special effects and the 3-d option and such, it's incredible. I cannot wait to see where movies will lead to in the nest 5 years.
    But overall Avatar deserves to win, with the amount of time and money invested, it should win. There were a lot of great movies, injurious bastards was amazing but best picture, no,but maybe best cast or something, yes.
    But we will see I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I have not seen all those movies I have heard a lot of good things about Avatar. However do not sleep on The Blind Side. It was a great true story and that could make a big impact with people. I liked Up a lot too. I think that if I had to pull for some those would be it. I do know that they may be longshots but I enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hangover was great and I would have loved for it to have gotten an Oscar nod too. But my vote is for Avatar. I am not much of a sci-fi fan but Avatar really blew me away. Just the level of detail that the producers and directors took was incredible. I heard the movie took something like 9 years to make...so it deserves to win just for that kind of dedication alone. But I look forward to seeing who wins in March. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So they still make movies that aren't animated??? :)haha! Grown up movies are few and far between in our house.

    ReplyDelete