Friday, February 19, 2010

Shutter Island:Great Movie...Bad Experience

I am so lucky to have friends in Nashville that are lucky! One of my friends received tickets to an advanced screening of Martin Scorsese's new film Shutter Island. It will be released in theaters on Friday February 19.

I knew it would be good. All of the films I have seen by Martin Scorsese that star Leonardo DiCaprio have been fantastic. This is their fourth film together. The other three are The Aviator, Gangs of New York, and The Departed. Shutter Island is my favorite so far, it was a superb film. I highly recommend it.

The movie is a psychological thriller centered around DiCaprio's character. The film is set in 1954, U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels (DiCaprio) and his partner are investigating the disappearance of a murderess who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane located on the remote Shutter Island. The movie is not really scary, but it is definitely an intriguing mind game that will have you guessing until the end.

The movie was fantastic...the movie going experience was not so much. The theater gave out more tickets than were seats, so you had to get their early to ensure a seat. Then, there were no attendants in the theater to make sure that people did not take up more space than they needed. My friends and I ended up having to split up our group of five. Three of us were seated near each other. We were seated near this family. Two large women with infants were taking up four seats--two for themselves and two for their baby carriers. The women were holding and breast feeding their infants through out the film. They were also very hostile towards us. They were mad when we sat down near them and their other family members. They were taking up a grand total of nine seats for four people. The theater was full. they didn't need nine seats. One of the women was in front of me and she was leaning so far back in her chair, that I had no leg room. I accidentally hit her chair when with my knees when I moved, and she proceeded to ram into my knees with her chair several times. I heard the other woman threatened violence--and this was all over me accidentally hitting her chair. They were the rudest people I had ever been around in my entire life.

That was the most bothersome experience, but there was also something else that bothered me. Shutter Island is rated R, it is not for little kids. Why were there so many young kids there? I saw several children that were no older than 8. One child even started crying during the movie. That is not something that should happen when you go see an R rated movie! Find a sitter, stay home, or see a more age appropriate film!

10 comments:

  1. Amyyy! I am so glad you wrote about this moive, becuase i am absolutely dying to see it, in fact i am trying to convince my boyfriend to go see it tonight with me haha! That is so awesome you have great connections like that down in Nashville! I'm so happy for you :) As far as your not so great "experience" itself, i'm sorry to hear about that. I think like you said it was totally innapropraite for women to be taking up that many seats let alone bringing an infant into a movie (advanced screening or not) people just don't have respect. As for the kids in the theater i guess the ticket people didn't do their jobs when checking for ID's? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hate it when a great event is ruined by other people being rude and inconsiderate. This type of situation seems to happen to me all the time. I can be in such a wonderful mood at work, get everything I need to do accomplished quickly, and somehow my rude, loud, annoying co-workers can ruin my entire shift. What's worse is that I tend to hold on to feelings like that, so I might be in a bad mood for the rest of the day/night afterwards and hold a grudge when I return to work.

    I'm sorry you had such an awful experience, in what seems to be a great movie. Next time threaten violence back at them and if they actually attempt it then run haha. I agree though, the children shouldn't have been in an R-rated movie to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,

    I know that if I were you, or any other sane person went through the same experience as you, then we would all react the same way. It's so unfortunate that there are so many rude people out there today that can be completely inconsiderate of their surroundings. I'm not one to escalate violence or look for trouble, so I probably would have done the same thing as you and just sat there without confronting the woman. I know somehow that if I got mixed up in that, someway or another I would've gotten in trouble or the blame would've been pointed at me for some reason or another.
    The whole idea that children were even in a rated R movie was pretty strange as well. It makes you wonder if those kids were accounted for or did their parents just bring them into the movie theater without being ticketed? Some people are just irresponsible. Glad you enjoyed the movie, sorry about the bad experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I rarely go to the movies anymore, and why I NEVER go during times when the theater will be crowded. With rare exceptions, I always wait a week or two after a movie comes out and then catch a matinee. If I'm going to pay 7 bucks for a matinee (who remembers when they were $4?), I don't want my experience ruined by a bunch of jackasses.

    I went and saw Shutter Island today and was lucky to have a great experience. Nobody interrupted the movie, no screaming kids or obnoxious people in the entire sold out theater, it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Sounds like a rough experience Amy. I also hate it when parents bring young kids into R rated films, because there is a reason the MPAA rated them that way. I also really don’t like rude people and it sounds like you had to deal with a lot of that in the movie. On the plus side I’m glad you thought the movie was good I’m actually going to see it tonight so I’m definitely looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate going to the movies when parents bring young children to rated R movies. Over Christmas, I saw the Princess and the Frog with my niece and the woman sitting next to me was so rude. My niece loves movies and sits quietly because she really pays attention, but like all children she will comment on really good parts. Well, the lady beside me had an infant and a 3 year old and they behaved so well. It was the adult that did not. While I was aggravated with her texting throughout the whole movie, it was worse when she actually accepted a phone call. People need to use better etiquette, whether it's a kids movie or not. I do look forward to seeing this movie though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMY! Knowing you I had to know that your blog was going to be about one of the biggest movies coming out this weekend. You are so lucky to have gotten to see that but it stinks that the experience sucked. You know me and my fear of not getting seats in time, so I always get there early. It stinks that the theater did not take the responsibility to ensure the amount of tickets equaled the number of seats. Those women were extremely rude. I do not understand why they needed so many seats but too many people feel obligated to deserve more seats than needed. I hope that the theater did not hurt your experience of the movie. Love you and cannot wait to talk to you again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw Shutter Island on sunday night and I thought it was pretty awesome. I've always been a Martin Scorsese fan, from Taxi Driver to Gangs of New York. I thought that it was interesting seeing Scorsese doing a psychological thriller, I can't recall him having done one before but it certainly had the quality we expect from one of his films. I really liked the imagery and although I feel like stories like this have been told before, this one mas all the elements to make it far more interesting. I did think it ran a little long but other than that I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see Shutter Island...and I'm glad you gave it a good review. But I'm sorry you had to deal with those awful people at the theater. To me, nothing ruins a good time more than a loud, obnoxious family making a public scene. And you would expect such an experience at a kid's movie...but not an R rated Scorsese film. You brought up a good point that parents really should be be bringing their kids to movies like that. Going to an R rated movie is an adult experience, and you should not have to sit through a baby crying. Anyway, nice post and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete